In New York

In New York
Rochsmefeller

Monday 11 July 2011

Never a dull moment.

Last Thursday I attended a Carer's Workshop, organised by Richmond Carers. This time it was First Aid (British Red Cross Qualification). The trainer was excellent. I'd want her there if I needed first aid, let me tell you. I am enormously pleased that I was able to attend and that I passed! Having done it, I now wonder how on earth Tom and Kate survived their childhood as I really only had the faintest idea of what to do in a first aid emergency before last Thursday. Lucky, I guess. Tom is very lucky. I did know it was important to tilt the chin of an unconscious person to keep the airway open - but I only knew it because a paramedic told Roch to do this years ago on the horrific occasion when Tom stopped breathing and Roch rang for an ambulance. We didn't know to do it until we were told. Happy story, Tom recovered. Now I know exactly what to do. It all came back to me as our instructor brought us through the correct procedure and I felt a bit wobbly for a moment.

We practised CPR on some very unlife-like dummies - it's really not as easy as it looks on TV. Casualty has a lot to answer for.

So there we are, settling down for the night and I remark to Roch that I am now equipped to deal with a medical emergency and can confidently carry out CPR if necessary. He's reading and without looking up he says 'Maybe I won't want you to.' Typical. 'Well, be sure and let me know,' I reply. After a pause I ask a serious question -'At the moment you'd want me to, right?'
He thinks for a moment. 'Yeah, I can still get a lot of pleasure from life, and give pleasure too, I hope.' He returns to Ambrose Bierce. 'Yeah, you can go ahead at the moment.'
'Well, let me know if it changes,' I say.
Never a dull moment.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to know your efforts will be appreciated. I have actually saved someone's life with CPR & it isn't something you forget in a hurry. The main thing I found doing it for real as opposed to a dummy is that you have to blow a hell of a lot harder than you would think.. Keep well & hang in there....

    ReplyDelete