In New York

In New York

Sunday, 14 August 2011

Post holiday blues...

Well, we have been home now for almost two weeks. The mood (Roch and me) has been down, on the whole. Post holiday blues? I've been feeling stressed about my new role in work and in a way I think that's a good thing. It's taking my mind off what's going on at home. I've been quite preoccupied. In another way I suppose when my focus shifts from him I don't feel in tune with his mood or his needs. Things will settle down. I'll find a balance. He hasn't gone back to work yet. He's not feeling up to it, mentally or physically I think. It's funny, recent contact with professionals - they've all said the same thing. "He's doing so well." I guess he is doing well, relatively speaking. So why don't I feel more cheerful? He's still able to drive, he's still working, he can still enjoy his food and drink. His breathing's ok.

The strength in his arms is less and he's lost some weight. His upper arms are looking skinny and his legs are losing muscle - but he's still looking good. When he's sitting down, holding forth, he looks almost like his old self. I notice a tendency some people have to rush to do things for him, rush to assist him. I understand the need to do this, but he can still speak and he usually asks. It's tempting to try to forestall his need to request help but constantly hovering about and doing everything for him makes him feel even less able and more of a crock. It's a challenge for all of us.

He has fallen recently. I was at work and Kate and Simon were with him. It was in the kitchen and I think it gave them quite a shock. It gave Roch a shock too. Just one of the those things, his legs went from under him. I thought when I heard, why did I not think of talking to the kids about what to do when it happens? Never occurred to me. He didn't hurt himself.

His neck's been giving him trouble for a while now. It's almost always sore and the cramps started there a few months ago. It's beginning. There's no need for a neck brace yet - the muscles still working would just give up the ghost if he used one constantly. We must ask the Community Nurse about a proper neck pillow. She did organise some very comfy cushions, two of which we have used to raise the old green sofa in the kitchen. He couldn't sit there any more because it was too low. Rachel, our Occupational Therapist has taken some measurements for raising the bed. It's getting difficult for him to get in and out of bed - that's too low, too.

We're beginning to think about an SDC (Self Directed Care) package. Basically, that's where the Council give the patient a sum of money to use for privately arranged care. That level of care is not required as yet, but we need to plan ahead. An assessment has to be carried out by a Social Worker and a Carer's assessment also has to be done. We talked to Rachel about this on Friday. She thinks he's doing well.

I was proud of my preparations before setting off for Dublin. We borrowed a ramp, the folding toilet frame was carefully packed up into the boot (boy, did that come in handy), radar key for public toilets along the way had arrived in good time, emergency kit and change of clothes in the car, first aid kit etc., wheelchair of course. We even managed to bring some clothes with us! It all went well. But you know what? It's just so sad. The doctors say "You must be positive."

Since coming home we've been to King's College - he's come to the end of the Lithium Carbonate trial. So now he's really on lithium but it will be April before we find out whether he was on lithium for the eighteen months or not. That was some trip. Thank God for air conditioning in the Berlingo. I drove across London in searing heat and I made the same mistake as last time, following Mrs. SatNav's instructions. This time I did my own recalculating and did a U-turn in double quick time. But we were still late for the appointment. He's not eligible for new trials as it's more than two years since his diagnosis. It's another little sign of the time passing.

Last Monday we spent the night in the Royal Brompton Hospital, where Roch was the subject of a sleep study. The purpose of the study was to discover whether his breathing is being compromised while asleep. Perhaps this is why he is sometimes so tired in the morning. Neither of us was looking forward to it but in the end it turned out to be less stressful than expected. All the staff were very kind and helpful, the room was bright and airy with a big window - there were even trees outside and we were treated to the sight of a spectacular rainbow at one point. I found that quite cheering. The visit even felt like a bit of a break. There was quite a lot of waiting around to do, just sitting in the room. So we read and rested and had some awful cups of hospital tea and coffee. The nurses and technicians explained clearly what was going to happen and it happened exactly as they said. They did a lung capacity test (good), an intern (she looked about Kate's age) took blood from his wrist (oxygen levels good) and a technician wired him up in preparation for the study. Later, a second technician arrived and connected him to a machine by the bed. With small tubes in his nostrils, a sensor attached to his ear and manifold lines going to a device tied round his chest, he was all set for a good night's shut-eye! The ear sensor monitored heart rate and oxygen levels. We tested the heart rate monitor at one point by the simple expedient of me lifting up my tee-shirt for about three seconds - but his heart rate shot up so rapidly I decided the experiment had been successful (still got it...) and refused to indulge him with further entertainment of that nature in case it affected the results of the study.

Forbidden to leave the bed from 8.30pm until he was detached from the machine in the morning - but that was no problem as he had his willing hand maiden there for the night (that was me, in case you thought the hospital provided one). I think his sleep was fitful, although no sooner had he remarked that he would never get to sleep at all, than the room was filled with the sound of his snoring. Happily, I had remembered my ear plugs and despite a rather unsteady camp bed, which occasionally threatened to fold up with me in it, I did get some sleep.

The Consultant gave us the results of the study in the morning. We liked her. She sounded like she knew what she was talking about. She says he's doing well. She told us that although there had been some occasional dips in oxygen levels during his sleep, these were within normal limits. However, we will go back to the Brompton for a morning soon, to be instructed in the use of a non-invasive ventilator, just in case. Then they will provide us with a machine, to keep at home if needed. It's an insurance policy and we both agree it's a good idea. Another sign of the times. Another step along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time away. Yes preparation for any kind of trip becomes very important. When Jude's cramp gets bad, we use a wheatsack. Very good. Jude has had a BIPAP for quite some time now. They take a bit of getting used to, but are definitely worth it in the long run. Take care, James