In New York

In New York
Rochsmefeller

Tuesday 21 January 2014

#Corrie #righttodie

Yesterday the Brompton called to tell us the procedure would have to be postponed. No bed available. There we were, all packed up and ready to to roll. Still, we'll get over it. It's a shame as Roch was all psyched up but in a funny way it feels like a reprieve. Another week PEG free. 

So we were at home together to watch as Corrie's Hayley Cropper took her own life and in doing so, sparked a long overdue public debate about Assisted Dying. Julie Hesmondhaigh and David Nelison as the dying Hayley and her loving partner Roy were incredibly moving and their story must have resonated for countless people watching, as it did for me and Roch.
Did you read the article in The Sunday Express the other day? It made me so mad - the reporter was either shockingly  ill informed or wrote a deliberately misleading article on the issue. Yes there are two sides to the debate and I am willing to listen to your side but only if your arguments are based on the facts. A change in the law will not lead to eventual euthanasia, it will protect vulnerable people. The proposed changes would allow people who are dying the right to choose how and when they die. Assisted Dying is for terminally ill people only, someone who had a disability and wanted to die would not be eligible to request an assisted death. Get your facts straight Daily Express and stop scaremongering! 
Last night twitter was filled with comments on Corrie and sympathy for the fictional Roy. Here is what Roch - a real person -  has to say, published online last night to coincide with the airing of the episode.


http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/as-someone-with-motor-neurone-disease-i-hope-tonights-coronation-street-helps-to-change-the-law-on-assisted-dying-9072836.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deirdre - a very belated Happy New Year to you & Roch.

    Today is the first day I have been able to catch up with your posts for some time. I have always found them thought provoking, especially when the role of the carer is so often overlooked. It's a comfort to know there is someone else out there with the same thoughts and feelings about what can be a very lonely experience.

    I'm very sorry to report that Colin sadly passed away on 11 January. Although he had spent some time in the hospice before Christmas, he was at home at the end just as he wanted. It was very peaceful - in his sleep - for which I take some comfort.

    We too had been following the Hayley & Roy storyline however in the last few weeks Colin couldn't watch and would often want to fast forward these bits. Although I have some issues with Hayley's care at the end, the writers captured Roy's emotions perfectly. I have yet to steel myself to watch this week's episodes but they have certainly raised a much needed debate on the subject.

    I will.continue to follow your blog and wish you much strength and love as your journey continues. Thank you again for voicing all those thoughts that, at the beginning, I was too afraid to share in case I was the only one feeling them.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Helen, I am so sorry to hear about Colin's death. You have all my deepest sympathies. Thank you for following my blog, I am grateful for your support and proud to count you amongst my friends. xx

    ReplyDelete