In New York

In New York
Rochsmefeller

Saturday 10 September 2011

Blog Notes

Monday 5th September

We had breakfast at the hotel this morning. It was the first time as I watched him, that I thought he wouldn't be able to eat by himself. We sat at a table by the window, looking out to the gardens. There were very few people in the dining room to witness his struggles. Those who were present didn't seem to notice. The problem wasn't just cutting up the food this time. This morning he could hardly lift the fork to his mouth. He rested between mouthfuls. It was a shock. He did it by himself in the end, very slowly. He commented on how cruel it was for God to have given him this disease - a man who loves his food, especially a full English breakfast. I had no answer for him.

We also learned today that when he is in his wheelchair and it rains, his legs will get very, very wet. We need a raincover I guess. Pretty obvious I suppose, but it's the first time it's happened. We got caught in a heavy shower in Lyndhurst and I hurried him back to the car. I felt in control but I forgot that it might have been a bit scary for Roch as I fairly ran along in the wet! I'm not sure he entirely trusts me with the control of his wheels. Tom is the King as regards wheelchair pushing. But the sooner we organise him under his own steam, the better.

Thursday 8th September

There has been a car parked outside our gate for two days and a night now. We are waiting for Richmond Council to organise our disabled parking space and we don't know when that will be. Apparently they have to put up a notice asking if anyone has any objection. I don't know how long that stays there, but they haven't done that yet. I can't help wondering - are people just stupid? There is a ramp with handrails from the door to the gate. It's not exactly brain surgery to work it out. Or do they just not care? It's such a struggle for him to get from the car now, walking up the road any distance. Yesterday he had to park about five doors away and he told me that an old man walking slowly past with some difficulty himself, asked Roch if he needed assistance. He didn't have to tell me that he refused the offer. I just hope he doesn't fall on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment